At my church, we've been studying Genesis. Today we focused on chapter 26. Darren hit several topics while he preached, which were all good, but I kind of took away my own little nugget from the scripture. In verse 2 & 3, God tells Isaac, "...live in the land where I tell you to live. Stay in this land for a while, and I will be with you and will bless you." Loved it. Needed it.
This whole year, I have been fluctuating between contentment and discontentment with the land that God has placed me in. I am grateful for the most part, but in dry times I question him. Sometimes I think I'm ready for bigger adventures, but I forget that God has me where I am for a reason-- He knows best. I must obey him.
This entire chapter of Genesis is eerily familiar-- it is pretty much a reenactment of Abraham's story: going to an unfamiliar land, tricking Abimelech, experiencing God's faithfulness, etc. We are Abraham's descendants, and God is still faithful to his original promise. Abraham nor Isaac was perfect-- God does not seek perfection, but obedience. Remember how God told Isaac that if he obeyed "I will be with you"? Later, in verse 28, Abimelech (after kicking Isaac out of the land) finds Isaac and apologizes to make an agreement of peace: he says, "we saw clearly that the Lord was with you." God gave Isaac his own land, God was faithful to bless Isaac's obedience, it was apparent that God was with him. God is the same today. Good reminder of a lesson I have learned a thousand times: God is faithful.
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this; He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret--it leads only to evil. For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
Psalm 37:3-9
Psalm 37 is my most favorite. love you.
ReplyDelete