Succession
is when nature returns after destruction.
There are two kinds: primary and
secondary. Primary succession is when a severe disturbance causes a biotic community to be stripped of life and soil, yet it is restored
from nothing. Secondary succession is when a disturbance strips nearly all life from a community’s soil
and, over time, fresh nature is revived from the remnants of the past.
I was among the herd of student brought to an abandoned factory-- a place where slabs of concrete smother the ground. We went for a class trip, to see secondary succession demonstrated. Shoots of grass poke through every massive crack in the pavement now abandoned by efforts to stifle wildness.
It seems like we cannot stop nature if we
try. Because secret little nutrients hide in the dregs and nurse life back into
existence.
God is like that.
God is grass. He is tenacious. He is faithful. He is gracious.
Grass by Carl Sandburg
Pile the bodies high
at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and
let me work---
I am the grass; I cover all.
And pile them high at
Gettysburg
And pile them high at
Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and
let me work.
Two years, ten years,
and passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?
I am the grass.
Let me work.

so good anne. loved it. and the poem really was the icing on the cake :)
ReplyDelete