But I couldn't have been beaten by a better opponent than Debi.
She spelled "GECKOES"--now, that's rare--and she said I was charming.
It was a close game, though. I had only vowels for half of the game, but said to myself, "Anne, count your blessings." Literally, out loud, I said that. That's when Debi called me "charming."
We were strangers, but we spent more than six hours in one another's presence today, so I feel that we have bonded. I find Debi to be refreshingly passionate, direct, and genuine.
On a separate note. If knowing me were a competition, my sister would win. Granted, she has the advantage of 22 years' experience.
She doesn't solve me like a Rubik's cube, but she nods knowing "mmhmm"s to my mess of verbal ruminations. She asks searching--not divulging--questions. She listens and she hears. She speaks humble wisdom. Her affirmation is penetratingly honest. I was reminded today of how good she is.
It was a close game, though. I had only vowels for half of the game, but said to myself, "Anne, count your blessings." Literally, out loud, I said that. That's when Debi called me "charming."
We were strangers, but we spent more than six hours in one another's presence today, so I feel that we have bonded. I find Debi to be refreshingly passionate, direct, and genuine.
On a separate note. If knowing me were a competition, my sister would win. Granted, she has the advantage of 22 years' experience.
She doesn't solve me like a Rubik's cube, but she nods knowing "mmhmm"s to my mess of verbal ruminations. She asks searching--not divulging--questions. She listens and she hears. She speaks humble wisdom. Her affirmation is penetratingly honest. I was reminded today of how good she is.
C.S. Lewis says the best ways to avoid God are "to avoid silence, avoid solitude...and (above all) [to concentrate] on your own grievances."
It's easy. It's true. So I wonder if the opposite is the best way to encounter God. I hope so. I will choose gratefulness over grievances. I will celebrate happy things. And not because it's almost Thanksgiving.
It's easy. It's true. So I wonder if the opposite is the best way to encounter God. I hope so. I will choose gratefulness over grievances. I will celebrate happy things. And not because it's almost Thanksgiving.
you're a beauty. i love everything you write. you're inspiring.
ReplyDeletei echo Rachel. And I add that i wish i could use words like "ruminations" with the confidence that you do.
ReplyDeletei'm thankful for you. and not because its almost Thanksgiving ;)