Wednesday, June 6, 2012

dandelions

I can, at last, publicly proclaim that I will be an aunt. and I think it is safe to say, though immodest, that I will be the greatest aunt to ever be an aunt. I was made for this. the little offspring will call me Auntie Meezy, or Auntie Snakie, and I shall make them weird, cultured, and loved. Truly though, I have long awaited this season of life, and I am so delighted at the honor of being an aunt.
I want Luke, Lauren, and Baby to move to Marion. I got a little megalomanious and tried everything in my power to make it happen. It didn't work (or hasn't yet at least), which goes to show how little power I have. I had to pray for God to humble me and lead those johnsies wherever they will serve Him best-- I had to pray that God would let His will be done even if it doesn't match my will, because His plans are higher than mine. So, I wrote a corny poem about it.

on letting go
I have a tendency to grab
onto fragile things
like stems of dandelion seeds
I hold them tightly
block the breeze
worry they'll be swept
from my tightly clenched fist

my crushing grip achieves
more damage than my fear
disfiguring the treasures
that I hold so dear
but when I allow the wind
to whip them from my hand
I watch them
spreading, rooting, flourishing

when I've let them be
I find them growing up all round me
little yellow jewels
the wind served well
that wouldn't have ever grown
if my hands had not let go

2 comments:

  1. you have suuuuch a way with words. I love the poem. I want it framed. seriously. can we?? and put it in the house? I think its a great reminder of how I need to let things go because i tend to do the same exact thing. I end up killing the thing i'm holding so tightly rather than allowing it to flourish and grow. Pray for me. I'll pray for you.

    NEVER STOP WRITING! God has gifted you in so many ways. These classes at times get discouraging, but it's only satan's grasp holding you back. You are gifted. God wants to use your gifts and when satan sees that God likes you he wants to pull you down even more. But take heart, HE HAS OVER COME THE WORLD. Don't fear, have faith.

    I love you very much. I'm serious about framing this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kayla. This poem is not corny. It's beautiful. Perfect. I love it. Keep it up my dear girl. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me something I don't know (only kidding, just say something!)